Asking a girl already

Bradley’s school has a Valentine’s dance every year, and all the kids from Grade 3  upwards have to attend.  So this year it’s his first dance experience.

Hectic!!

I thought that it was just a little dance.  It doesn’t last very long, and I think it ends really early (from what I can remember, and no I haven’t studied the newsletters yet).

Well, clearly not!! Bradley’s best friend Angelique has been asked to “go” by one of the other boys.

I did ask him how he felt about Angelique going with another boy… his answer “well, I can’t ask my best friend to go with me, that would be weird” LOL!

Call me strange, but aren’t 8/9 year olds a little young for this?  He’s stressing now.  He’s so nervous to ask another girl to this thing, and I actually don’t think he should be.  I don’t see anything wrong with him going with his friends… in a group.

Am I strange?

Anyhoo, this evening I was a little more relaxed about the whole thing when he told me that some of his boy friends had asked other boy friends to go with them. Clearly it’s not “that” important.

Connor, on the other hand, thinks it’s hilarious that Bradley’s going to a dance, and he’s going to “shake his booty” LOL!! There was a lot of wrestling going on this evening after the teasing.

I’m not ready for this… I’m not ready for this angst.  I’m not sure I’m equipped to help him deal with girls saying “no” to him asking them out.

Bloody hell he’s too young for this!! I’m too young for this!!

Subscribe to my blog or connect to me...

, , ,

14 Responses to Asking a girl already

1. Cat@jugglingact January 31, 2012 at 11:02 pm #

Oh gosh yes, I fully agree. In fact I think it is so wrong! Rather force them to go in groups of friends.
    I do think society is pushing them towards these things way too young

2. Louisa January 31, 2012 at 11:59 pm #

What if she says yes? ;-)

3. Corey February 1, 2012 at 1:03 am #

oh my yes….definately too young. I don’t like them pushing girl/boy stuff so early. They just need to be kids.

4. Fiona February 1, 2012 at 7:19 am #

I agree Jeanette! These Valentine dances should be more relaxed and they should only be thinking about partners when they are in their teens…*maybe*.

In Ethan’s homework book last night it said we owe R78 for Valentines day goodies he bought at the school. I told him it’s coming out of his pocket money. Good gracious! His bought balloons, chocolates and a teddy bear for a little girl.

• Jenty February 1, 2012 at 7:27 am #

LOL!! R78 is a hell of a lot!!

• Avril (Mom) February 1, 2012 at 7:31 am #

Oh that’s cute! Sweet thoughtful child .. he’s been brought up well – you should be proud!!! Far too young for ‘partnering’ – sad children are pushed to grow up so fast

5. Avril (Mom) February 1, 2012 at 7:24 am #

Way too young – it should be a fun get-together. I think you’ll find they’ll all just go and have fun – without the partner thing! Although I had to swear, by Connor, to absolute secrecy yesterday that he danced a “slow dance” with a GIRL!! – he blushing!!!! Teacher N got them all to dance and they had to “slow dance” as well – he said it’s because the Valentines Dance is coming up! Sounds like she had fun with them dancing with each other – I shall ask today though!!

• Jenty February 1, 2012 at 7:28 am #

Connor explained that slow dancing was just dancing slowly :) like a slow robot kind of vibe. Or rather, that’s what I’m hoping

• Avril (Mom) February 1, 2012 at 7:35 am #

yes maybe you’re right – they probably had to move to different beats and rhythms and a girl just happened to be standing in front of him doing the slow bit – you know how he is always surrounded by girls :)

6. A Daft Scots Lass February 1, 2012 at 10:15 am #

Oh Gosh! Sometimes I’m glad the Megan is such an avid tomboy. Most of her friends are boys and its always been like that, so I’m so used to her hanging out with boys but she says she’s too young for a boyfriend. She said “besides we’re not allow holding hands at school”.

I nearly fell over when I heard that.

7. Janet February 1, 2012 at 11:08 am #

Hectic! I do think they put too much pressure on these children! What’s wrong with a good old “Grade Party” where everyone just goes as a group?

8. Melany February 1, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

I agree. I think they are WAY too young! We don’t have things like this at our school. LOTS of braais that we are parents go to but nothing like that, just for the kids. Thát should wait for high school.

9. Laura February 1, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

Shew that is a little young – do the go with the older kids? Or is it just a little thing on their own?

Cameron would also be very nervous!!

10. MeeA February 1, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

I’m so with you. I actually want to take up a similar issue with my kids’ school.
    Megan and a group of girls in her class are practicing a song to perform at the school’s annual Grandparents’ Tea and the lyrics are just utterly inappropriate. I can’t believe that the school’s music teacher would allow them to perform this song to a hall full of grannies!
    It’s as if they’re encouraging kids to jump into stuff they’re simply not equipped to deal with at this age and I am appalled!