I tried Glossybox this month

So, after all the blog posts I read and all the hype on Twitter and Facebook about Glossybox, Rubybox and Glambox, I decided to try it.  I ordered June’s Glossybox… partly because they were doing a special Stuttafords box.

It arrived at my desk at work yesterday, and it was beautiful.  The box was beautiful and so was the packaging inside.

Before I continue, let me explain what they are for those not in the know. All 3 companies basically offer the same thing.  You sign up for the month, and you get a box delivered with samples of cosmetics and toiletries of their choice (partially taking your preferences and skin type into account).

For R130 this is what I got:

1.  Sample sized (2ml) perfumes… Dolce and Gabbana The One sample, and the men’s Sport version of the same range.  The perfume is now going to be added to my birthday wish list.
2.  Escada perfume in a pack that only works for one application… smelt nice though when I used it this morning, but the scent didn’t even last until lunchtime.
3.  Clarins sample sized mascara… which is really awesome actually.  Love the wand that has a rubber end.  Really handy for a handbag.
4.  L’Occitane sample sized toner
5.  Lancome miniature lipstick from the Rouge in Love collection… which I won’t use because it’s orange-ish and not my cuppa tea.

And a Stuttafords card inviting me to go to the store to purchase the items at a discounted price.

My verdict:  The R130 probably covered the cost of the packaging and the courier, with a margin for Glossybox… but that’s all my money paid for.  I know, it’s a cynical way of looking at it :)

I did like being able to try the products without being in the shop, and that’s where the whole experience falls flat in my mind.  The market for the people ordering these boxes is online… they’re ordering the box online and it’s being delivered.  Probably like me, they’re time poor, but like trying new things, and like the idea of trying things at home rather than trawling from shop to shop.  Instead of giving me a card to make me walk into a Stuttafords… which I’m probably not going to do… rather allow me to buy the products online through Stuttafords with the discount.

I see that Glambox and Rubybox have an online store, but not sure whether they sell the same products that they deliver that month, and from chatting to a few people it sounds like the vouchers they got in those boxes can’t be used online either (although I could be mistaken there).

Do I like the actual products?  Some of them.  Love the Clarins mascara and I may go and hunt it down… and I’ve put the D&G perfume on my birthday list.

Would I buy it again?  No.  Partly because I don’t like the idea that I’m paying for just packaging, and partly because for me it’s a waste.  I don’t like using random lipstick colours that I haven’t chosen, and because my skin is so sensitive I’m very wary about facial products.

But glad I tried it once :)

14 Responses to I tried Glossybox this month

1. NickiD May 30, 2012 at 10:21 pm #

Thanks for this! Also been contemplating an order, but I would also be annoyed at receiving a box of samples in a fancy box! You could get those all for free!!!

2. Syllable May 31, 2012 at 7:36 am #

L’Occitane is really great – even for sensitive skin. I have to admit that of the three boxes, GlossyBox is my favourite. The April box had a ring from 4Flavour, and the May box a scarf, also from 4Flavour. They often have items that last longer than makeup/samples do, which is another reason I like them best.

I got the exact same box as you. There are apparently two different boxes in the range.

If you have a sensitive skin, this probably isn’t the best value for money for you though. But now you’ve tried it and now you know :)

3. Angel May 31, 2012 at 8:09 am #

Interesting! I’ve been tempted to sign up but I don’t have any spare cash…

4. alidaonline May 31, 2012 at 8:31 am #

I’m glad I read this. I’ve seen a lot of tweets etc about the various boxes and have been tempted but not convinced. I have a ridiculously sensitive skin so those samples would be lost on me so I’d end up paying for things like perfume samples … think I’ll pass on this.

5. Nadine May 31, 2012 at 11:24 am #

The vouchers I received in Glambox can be used online as well as in store. But I have to agree with the Glossybox review. It was nice but the hype wasn’t there. In this case it was only samples and unlike Glambox, which has had a full product in every box, Glossybox was a bit of a let down. I am glad I tried it and do like the mini lipstick and colour I received. But I won’t be back for awhile. I have also tried Rubybox and the segmenting issues put me off as some had received more than others even though everyone had paid the same but they may have sorted that out. Out of the three I enjoy Glambox the most as it feels like it’s made for me. Each person is different and may find that Rubybox and/or Glossybox suits them better. But I prefer Glambox. Yes the idea of paying for samples does sounds ridiculous, but some samples you won’t get, shops are always out of samples and if you get it with a mag odds are they will be stolen before the mag is sold.

6. cat@jugglingact May 31, 2012 at 11:58 am #

I am so glad that you have confirmed for me what I thought it was – a way for companies to get you into their shops and buy their products while you pay to try them out.

7. DodgyMama May 31, 2012 at 2:09 pm #

Thanks for the great review!
    I was really interested to see what was in the June GB after the build up :)
    I would have felt pretty let down with those contents actually.

For those contemplating these sort of boxes, I must tell you that my experience has been a lot different in as far as the comments regarding samples, and it just being a tool to get you to buy their product. I imagined that at first.

I am OS and have received 3 different ‘brands’ of boxes to date, including GB.
    One of the boxes I receive has a large number of samples sized products, GB in particular was big on additional vouchers, but all three contained good full sized product every month. They are all the same price, comparable to R130.

The best box, last month I received a full sized De Lorenzo hair styling product, which is divine.. some I Nuovi Glitteratti (full sized), 3 emerginC Organics product samples (mask moisturiser and cleanser), some gorgeous bath salts and a good sized sample of tinted moisturiser. All worth well over what I paid for the box, and it came in a makeup bag.

March had a lip balm, a Karpati nail lacquer, Argan oil, a good brand eyeshadow palette, all full sized products, and then a generous sample tube of exfolient from Kosmea.

With any luck, the boxes in RSA will get with the programme and include such a generous and tasty array as that! It IS possible and is still benificial to the companies promoting their products.
    Fingers crossed for you!

8. Chanz May 31, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

As Nadine said, Glambox includes a full size product with each box, so it’s more worth it, the May box was quite nice, 2 sachets of crabtree & Evelyn stuff – hate sachets, a Nivea lipgloss which is nice, a full size Revlon Mascara, and an Avon necklace and earring set.

9. Deslé May 31, 2012 at 7:45 pm #

I love Glambox. With each box I ordered I got more products worth more than a R100 I spent on the box. Glossybox is a waste of money. Not one full size product out of the two boxes I have ordered so far. The Stutterfords hype was a huge let down indeed.

10. Jackie K June 1, 2012 at 10:22 am #

I tried Rubybox a few times, but cancelled my subscription. I found that it just wasnt worth the money. The samples were tiny and there was nothing really ‘wow’ in the boxes. Wont be subscribing to any of them again.

11. Annie June 5, 2012 at 4:55 pm #

I have subscribed to both boxes and have not been able to choose between Rubybox and Glambox. They are both nice. I have a question. The biggest complaint I see about the boxes is that you get samples that you could anyway easily get in a store or magazine. Now my question is: How do you get such nice samples out of a store. I have only once been able to get nice samples at a beauty counter by asking. Please help.

12. Pamela June 6, 2012 at 11:10 am #

My sister-in-law got me Glambox for 3 months as a Christmas present. I really liked it as I would never have done it for myself, however I am not big on products so ended up giving most of the stuff away.

There were a few items though that I loved but would never have bought though. I did think it a great present.

13. Wendy June 12, 2012 at 10:08 am #

I tried the Ruby Box for three months … overall a slightly better deal it seems because you usually get a full size item but I canceled after the third month.

Its great to try the items out, but I couldn’t quite justify paying the price for samples.

Hope your week is wonderful

14. Natasha June 14, 2012 at 11:47 am #

They sent me one and it was *the* biggest ante-climax. All I used was the mascara, which is ah-mahzing! Didn’t even blog about it, gave the box to the kids… Whatever. Like, a sachet / packet cologne sample? REALLY? Shme. Glad I didn’t pay for it.