How much can one stuff in a car?

Anyone knowing me for a long time would shake their head at the title and wonder what I’ve done now?

I had an Uno when Lance and I got married all those years ago, and one day I came home with a bed on the roof of the car :) I wasn’t prepared to pay for delivery. LOL! I remember the policeman’s face as I drove past him that day… and thanked my lucky stars I didn’t get stopped. I’ve been known to come home with enormous trees hanging out the windows and tables and all sorts of household items.

It’s been the brunt of many a dinner joke, and Lance still reckons I need to get a bakkie instead of a car… especially because of the dogs now.  You should see the mess they’ve made of my car!

Anyway, for some reason I haven’t done it in a while, and when I have, the kids haven’t been with me.

Today, however, was a different story. Lance was working so the kids came shopping with me… and I decided that I needed to replace the 2 occasional chairs in the lounge considering the beautiful banana leaf chairs that cost a fortune years ago are no longer beautiful due to the huskies deciding when they were puppies that it was a cool idea to unravel the banana leaf and chew on the legs and all the corners.

20120610-222354.jpg I’d spotted these button tub chairs at Mr Price Home a while ago… and today was the day they needed to be bought… and I wasn’t waiting for delivery. So the 2 sales guys gamely agreed with my thinking that the two chairs would fit in the car… which they only just did without the boxes. Except there wasn’t space for Connor’s chair… in fact there wasn’t space for much else. So Connor excitedly reckoned he would sit next to them, and “keep them safe”. He LOVED it… not that he’ll do it again in a hurry cos it meant no seat belts. Our house isn’t far from the shop… oh don’t give me crazy comments for this ok!! I know it’s dangerous…

Anyhoo, he loved it… and declared it “the best day ever”… my fearless son :)

Hehe, the car guard and the sales guys looked at me as if I was a little mad :) and the kids loved that I was a little mad for a change… and we’ve got 2 new red tub chairs in our lounge :) and it’s just amazing how cheery they make the place… now I just have to get a little more money to replace the couches… and the lounge will look as good as new.

And no… I’m not going to try and fit that in my car! :) I’m not THAT mad!

10 Responses to How much can one stuff in a car?

1. Karen at MomAgain@40 June 11, 2012 at 1:45 pm #

I would have loved to see the photo of your car with the chairs ;-)

2. JaneF June 11, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

Thanks for the chuckle. I can just picture that! I have been known to do similar crazy things myself! :)

My best was once agreeing to the boys begging to be allowed to drive home in the boot. I eventually agreed, but then needed to stop for petrol.

Which was fine until I realised my handbag was in the boot too. The petrol attendant was quite bemused when 2 little heads popped out when I opened up and I made sure to let him know they were in there willingly. It must have looked very odd! :)

• Jenty June 11, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

Bwahaha!! I can just imagine the look on the petrol attendant’s faces :) Connor would LOVE that. He’s always asking to sit in the boot

• Fiona June 11, 2012 at 5:27 pm #

LOL Jane
      You really are the coolest mom :)

Jeanette I love those chairs and you’re obviously alot like me. When I’ve set my mind on something and I’ve paid for it, I want it NOW!

3. Salomé June 11, 2012 at 5:27 pm #

Those red tub chairs are lovely! I also had an Uno but would never have tried to put a bed on top. You go girl!

4. Avril (Mom) June 11, 2012 at 9:49 pm #

Where there’s a will there’s a way! The boys told me about the new ‘cool and comfy’ chairs

5. cat@jugglingact June 12, 2012 at 8:25 am #

Oh I love those chairs! But I am also a bot about instant gratification – luckily we do have the bakkie

6. Jackie K June 15, 2012 at 3:21 pm #

I love those chairs

7. Pamela June 20, 2012 at 9:16 am #

Love the chairs. I also tend to stuff everything possible into my car – which is one of the reasons I insist on a hatchback. We once came home with a fence in the car and my husband squeezed into a tiny space in teh boot…. I thought it was very funny. He didn’t and we got a Kombi shortly afterwards

8. Marcia (123 blog) June 26, 2012 at 10:09 am #

I’ve had my eyes on those chairs for awhile too. I’m holding out (I wrote holidaying – shows you what’s on my mind) til they’re 5 though – they should treat furniture with more respect then, right??? :)