In the corner 219/365

28.01.2013 6:30pm

He was so desperate to play his Nintendo DS tonight that he sat in the book corner and played with it while it was charging

On another kids subject entirely… how often do you take your kids out of school for things?  We’ve never been on holiday during the school term and taken the kids out.

A colleague and I were chatting today, and he was telling that that the school principal at his kids school said that only 8% of the kids in the school had 100% attendance last year, and that a few kids had been absent for more than 60 days!  That’s crazy! Private schools have about 192 days of schooling in 2013… imagine taking your kids out of school for almost a third of the year?! OK, maybe they were sick part of the time… or maybe one of them is really sickly and has to be at home/hospital.  But still, that’s a LOAD of time to have to catch up in a year!

, ,

7 Responses to In the corner 219/365

1. Marcia (123 blog) January 28, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

Great question.

My mother never ever ever ever let us miss even a day of school. Then again, we were also never ever ever sick.

100% school attendance for probably most of the school years.

I thought I’d be the same – work ethic and all that because i can’t STAND people taking a fake sick day to catch up on life, reading, whatever. That’s BS in my book. I also feel like I need a day now and again and will put in proper leave. What does that say to our kids about responsibility and being mature enough to stick at things when (not if) they become hard.

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT I would take my kids out for travel because I don’t think that there’s anything you can learn in school that compares to culture and life out there. So trip to Thailand = totally take some days of school if necessary.

• Jenty January 28, 2013 at 10:34 pm #

But 60 days in one year is completely excessive… even it’s for some fancy cultural experience!

2. Marcia (123 blog) January 28, 2013 at 10:54 pm #

100% agree with you – I meant a few days like less than a week

3. Laura January 29, 2013 at 11:04 am #

My kids do this with the iPad :)

I never take them out – I am against it but D feels the opposite so last year we did start term 3 a day late – we were in Durban for the air show and travelled back on the day school opened. I was very anxious about the whole thing!

Last year the principal told us that it if your child was absent more than a certain amount of days in a row they would be “expelled”. I think it was 2 weeks. It was an instruction from the government apparently so clearly it happens a lot!!!

4. Mrs FF January 29, 2013 at 11:45 am #

Well guess different parents have different rules.

I remember as a child, I had to be very sick to miss school and like Marcia, I usually had 100% attendance. I only missed school if I was burning hot with a fever, a cold was not enough for my mum. And I even used to fake being ok when I was sick, just so I could go to school anyway. And we never got taken out of school because of a holiday trip, never ever (easy because my mum was a teacher). I wonder what I would do if I had kids!! HMMMMM food for thought

5. ExMi January 29, 2013 at 1:18 pm #

jeeeez! with private school fees being what they are – you’d think parents would want to get their money’s worth!

i certainly plan to…

unless he’s contagious/severely miserably sick, no missing school!

6. Angel February 5, 2013 at 10:10 pm #

I’m with you, Jenty. I very rarely let the knucklehead miss out on school unless there was a really good reason.