I went to the new market at TheSheds@1Fox yesterday. It’s in the heart of Johannesburg CBD in old dynamite warehouses dating to the 1920’s! It’s an amazing setting for a market.
It’s open from Thursdays to Sundays at the moment, and if I worked in Jozi I would be there every Friday lunchtime!
What I loved…
1. The setting. The old buildings. They’ve gently restored the old buildings and kept the character.
2. The food. The stalls are amazing! I tried a few things from quite a few of the stalls, and I wasn’t disappointed with any of it. The pork belly from Black Sam Smoque was amazing… I wasn’t too wild about the beans but then I didn’t expect them to be hot. The samoosas from Shireen’s were yummy. The flas breads and humus from The Real Wrap were the perfect starter. The flamme from the one place I cannot remember the name of was yummy… especially the one with bacon on it! And finally… LOVED the Cookies and Cream ice cream from Paul’s homemade ice creams… yes I actually ate ice cream 😉
3. The flower stall as you walk in made me smile. Loved all their proteas.
4. The space. Love that there’s so much space to sit inside and outside.
5. It’s not that full yet, so it would be cool to go to with the kids…. overly crowded places stress me out when I have whiney kids with me.
How awesome is this collection of photos that was on the walls? Loved the open gallery type space.
Ooh this photo reminds me… take cash with you! Not all the stalls have card machines or Snapscan yet. I dearly wanted one of the t-shirts from Department of Squares but I didn’t have enough cash on me.
I see The Sheds have a Christmas evening on Monday 15 Dec… I’m hoping I can convince Lance that it’s a good idea… I think that would be awesome! An urban setting with some classic opera and market food FTW!