I haven’t bought a new camera bag in ages. The Kelly Moore bag I bought a few years ago is a little worse for wear now, and desperately needs to be replaced. Now, I’ve been randomly looking for one for a while, but really, I cannot spend money on the ugly camera bags available in this country.
Seriously?! Why don’t any local bag manufacturers make women’s camera bags? I really don’t want to use a bag that shouts “expensive camera gear on board”! It’s a safety issue, not just a aesthetic thing.
Anyway, looks like I’m now going to have to import another one. There are NO ladies camera bags available in SA.
This is what I look for in a bag:
- It has to be able to carry my DSLR with 24-70mm lens attached.
- I also need to be able to carry my big 70-200mm lens for photoshoots.
- It needs to close at the top in some way for safety
- I want to be able to carry my wallet too, or it needs to have a wallet included in the bag
- It needs to have a carry strap as well as a cross body strap. The cross body strap makes it easier for me to carry the bag and balance the weight during shoots. I don’t really want a backback… I’m not comfy with my stuff where I can’t see it (safety reasons).
- I need pockets for car keys, tissues and memory cards.
- It needs to have good support for my equipment, and preferable needs to be able to stand up so I can put it down without my camera falling over in it.
- There are plenty overseas manufacturers that have women’s bags that are flowery… I prefer bags that look inconspicuous.
So, these are my top 5 favourite camera bags that will all hold my camera body, big lenses and maybe even a flash:
I love the flap that goes over the top. The extra storage in the flap also appeals to me.
I quite like the fanny pack that is removable on this bag. I could easily hold my memory cards etc while I have a shoot. So handy for a long shoot!
3. Aurora by Epiphanie
I just love that this bag is genuine leather. It’s a classic looking bag and stands on it’s own too.
4. Valencia by Epiphanie
This may be a little too big… but I do like it
5. The Capri by Ona
As you can tell by now, I’d love a bag that looks like a shopper. The ONA bags are also leather. I’ve got a feeling though, that this one will be too small. It doesn’t look like it’ll fit the lenses I need it to fit though